It is always nerve wracking when WordPress needs to be updated. In fact, I just updated from WordPress 2.3 to 2.5.1. This time, I used the WordPress Automatic Upgrade plugin to perform the upgrade and it was indeed a treat. While it used to take me 30 minutes or more to manually update WordPress, this time only took 15 minutes or so. There was a slight learning curve but now that is done, future updates should take no more than 10 minutes. The update process was fairly painless and the step-by-step instructions were easy to follow. Nicely done Keith Dsouza. After the dust settled and all plugins were reactivated, I noticed the query load time of this blog’s home page more than doubled from when it was running 2.3. Something in 2.5.1 was causing this page load increase and I was not about to let it go.
After some research, it turns out that gzip (the option to compress page content for browsers that support compression) was removed in version 2.5 and that was the cause for the increased load times. I used a simple tag to measure query load times on this blog. The following line of code was placed just before the